Yesterday there was a Valentine's Day party at Brain Train (more about that in the next post). They had valentine-making and cookie decorating. The three of us went and had a lot of fun! David teased me for sneaking some dried cranberries onto Naomi's cookie, but hey, might as well get some fruit with that sugar!
Today Naomi and I played in the snow. She had such a good time.
She especially loved the swing!
David bought some Valentine's Day cards and some Nerds candy to give to all of his colleagues today, but that is the extent of the Valentines any of us gave out. Over the weekend, though, David and I went and saw The Vow to celebrate. It was a really touching movie.
Now, I know I haven't written in a while, and a lot has happened since I last made a post (like the entire holiday season), but I also haven't taken a lot of pictures, so this summary will be quite sparse!
Thanksgiving
We decided to stay home for Thanksgiving. The break was short and sometimes it's just nice to hang out at home. David invited all the other first-year graduate students who weren't going anywhere for Thanksgiving to come to our place, and we had quite a turnout!
Since we knew a lot of people would be coming, we had everyone bring a dish to share. Clark volunteered to make the turkey. It tasted great, but he didn't really know how to carve it:
This was a lot of David's classmates' first Thanksgiving since some of them are international students, so it made it extra special. David had everyone say something they were thankful for, and many of them expressed how it was hard to move to a new country and not know anyone, and how special and included they felt being invited to our home over the holiday. It made me really grateful that David wanted to include everyone!
Christmas
For Christmas we went to Kansas to be with my family. Since I have been crocheting and since we don't have much extra to spend, I made my whole family presents. I made a couple scarves, ear warmers, and a hacky sack, but the ones I'm most proud of were my amigurumi. I made Yoda and an ewok:
Free Yoda tutorial found here and free ewok pattern found here.
We also got family pictures taken while we were there.
(I made the headband Mimi is wearing)
This is our first real picture of us as a family!
It was fun to have a Christmas like the one I had growing up. And I'm glad everyone got to know Naomi a little better.
New Year
Right after Christmas we flew out to sunny California to be with some of David's family. It was so warm! I swear the sun really does shine brighter there. Or maybe it seems that way because it is overcast here so often.
Our big event for New Year's Eve was going to Phil Trani's for a nice dinner with the family. And boy, was it an event.
This is us at the restaurant. Things ended up not quite going as planned; we ended up waiting almost two and a half hours to get our food! When the food came out it was cold, overdone, and underseasoned. Needless to say, no one was very happy! We were worried about Naomi because we were out past her bedtime, but she ended up being the best behaved out of everyone. She is such a good girl.
Despite the dinner mishaps, we had a wonderful time relaxing and being with family. It was a wonderful end to our vacation.
And because it is so cute, and it is basically the only picture I took over our whole break, this is Naomi lying down in Ollie's doggy bed. Adorable!
Next post will be another catch-up of happenings in the past few months.


No comments:
Post a Comment